|New Jersey|  George Fresolone

Birth: 1953 - New Jersey

Death: 2002

George Fresolone was a soldier in the New Jersey section of the Scarfo Family and was the first mobster ever to tape his own initiation ceremonie.

Affiliation with the Philadelphia Family
George Fresolone was born in Newark, New Jersey, in 1953. His father ran a numbers operation and was frequently approached by the mafia. During his teens he started to hang around with Pasquale Martirano, a made member of the Philadelphia crime family, and became his driver a couple of years later. During the 1970's Martirano helped Fresolone in starting his own numbers and bookmaking business.

Throughout the 1970's the Newark branch of the Philadelphia Mafia was ran by Antonino Caponigro. In 1978 the day to day business was taken over by Ralph Napoli after Caponigro was named the consigliere of the family. In 1982 Fresolone was arrested for the first time but was soon probated. Later he stated: "...I was not too worried. First-time bookies almost always got probation". However, a month later police was searching for him again. He briefly went into hiding but eventually turned himself in and was sentenced to 4 years. In late 1984 Ralph Napoli stepped down as Northern Jersey overseer and was succeeded by Fresolone's mentor, Pasquale Martirano. Although being in prison when hearing the news, his luck couldn't be greater because his relation towards Martirano could grant him large things in the future.

Discontent with the family
During his prison term he started to realize that his associates did not support his wife and kids like they had promised. When he was released from prison Patty Martirano told him that everything would be straightened out again. A couple of months later however Martirano needed to flee the country after they came to know he was being bugged by the FBI. During Martirano's absence Fresolone was approached by the FBI with the proposal of becomming an informant. He was not willing at first until they played a recorded conversation between Anthony Attanasio and Nicholas Cifelli, 2 fellow crewmembers of Martirano. "Who the fuck does he (Fresolone) think he is?” Attanasio said. “He ain’t straightened out. In fact he ain’t shit. It’s time we put him in his place.” Fresolone was angered while hearing this and after he was indicted again for gambling and loansharking in 1988, he eventually descided to help the FBI. He did had one condition though, the FBI had to backoff from Patty Martirano.

Work as informant
Fresolone started to wear a wire in August 1989 and taped about 400 conversations ranging from drugdealing to murderplots. During this period he also started to work as a bodyguard to Nicodemo Scarfo Jr., who had nearly escaped a murder attempt that year. In July 1990 a member of the Martirano crew learned through a mol inside the police that there was an informant in their midst. Fresolone heared about it and started to worry about his safety, but lucky for him they didn't had a name or face to place on the informant and he descided to continue. On July 26, 1990, Fresolone was initiated as a made member of the Scarfo family and also wore a wire during the ceremonie. The initiation was hosted by acting boss Anthony Piccolo and Pasquale Martirano, who had been named the new underboss recently but was sick of liver cancer. Martirano had vouched for Fresolone to become a made guy, a promise he had made after they had let Fresolone down during his imprisonment. The ceremonie was held in the Bronx at the house of an associate. Fresolone was one of 5 men to become a made member that day, others were John Priano, Nicholas Cifelli, Vincent Centrino and Nicholas Olivieri.

On August 22, 1990, 41 members of 6 different Mob families were charged with racketeering based on the conversations recorded by Fresolone. The defendants included DeCavalcante boss John Riggi, Anthony Piccolo, Nicodemo Scarfo Jr. and Joseph Licata. Pasquale Martirano died of cancer before the trials started. After the trials Fresolone was placed in the witness protection program. In October 1994 he published a book called "Blood Oath" about his experiences in the Mafia. 4 years later he was approached again at an undisclosed location for an interview concerning Giralomo Palermo, who was the underboss of the DeCavalcante family, which was used at the Palermo trial. George Fresolone died in 2002 of a heartattack, he was 48y old.

(Source: "41 Charged in Mob Case Based on Informer" NYtimes August 22, 1990; "Blood Oath" by George Fresolone and Robert J. Wagman;,

.:Back to American Mafia:.

2007 - 2015    |    Contact Webmaster